240th QUARTERMASTER BATTALION
Constituted 13 January 1941 in the Regular Army as the 240th Quartermaster Battalion (Colored).
Activated 1 June 1941 at Camp Livingston, Louisiana.
Reorganized and redesignated 16 June 1942 as 240th Quartermaster Service Battalion.
Battalion broken up 15 February 1944 and its elements reorganized and redesignated as follows:
Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment 240th Quartermaster Battalion inactivated 22 November 1945 in France.
Activated 1 June 1966 at Fort Lee, Virginia.
CAMPAIGN PARTICIPATION CREDIT
World War II
Meritorious Unit Commendation, Streamer embroidered VIETNAM 1967-1968 (HHD 240th QM Bn cited for period 1 Nov 1967-31 May 1965; DAGO 39, 1970)
Meritorious Unit Commendation, Streamer embroidered SOUTHWEST ASIA
Army Superior Unit Award, Streamer embroidered 1986
DISTINCTIVE UNIT INSIGNIA
Two red wavy bands passing horizontally through a black gear. The motto PROUD TO SERVE is black on a gold scroll. The sample of the distinctive insignia was approved for wear on 17 March 1967.
COAT OF ARMS
Approved: 15 November 1993
SHIELD: Buff, a bar gemel wavy gules enfiled by a gear wheel sable.
MOTTO: Proud to Serve.
Buff is the primary color traditionally associated with
Quartermaster units. The basic mission of the Battalion in planning, controlling,
maintaining and regulating the supply of gasoline and petroleum is symbolized by the black
gear and the wavy red bands.
as of 11 Oct 99