244th QUARTERMASTER BATTALION
Constituted 12 January 1942 in the Army of the United States as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 244th Quartermaster Battalion (Service) and activated 25 January 1942 at Camp Shelby, Mississippi.
Redesignated 1 April 1942 as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 244th Quartermaster Service Battalion.
Redesignated 14 February 1944 as Headquarters and Headquarters
Inactivated 18 September 1946 in Germany.
Redesignated Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 244th Quartermaster Battalion and allotted to the Regular Army on 26 October 1961; concurrently, Companies A and B constituted in the Regular Army.
Activated 8 November 1961 at Fort Lee, Virginia; inactivated 6 July 1962 at Fort Lee.
Activated 24 June 1963 at Fort Campbell, Kentucky; inactivated 17 June 1965 at Fort Campbell.
Assigned to United States Army Training and Doctrine Command 12 February 1987; concurrently, Headquarters organized at Fort Lee, Virginia.
World War II
Meritorious Unit Commendation, Streamer embroidered EUROPEAN THEATER (HHD 244th QM Bn cited for period 6 Jan-15 May 1945; GO 17, Hq 7th US Army dated 11 Jan 1946)
French Croix de Guerre with Palm, World War II, Streamer embroidered NORMANDY (HHD 244th QM Bn cited for action on 6 Jun 1944; DAGO 43,1950)
Description: A silver
color metal and enamel device 1 1/8 inches (2.86cm) in height overall consisting
of a shield blazoned: Buff, a wheel Argent between dexter and sinister flanks
Vert and Gules, on a chief enhanced Azure a chain of three links fesswise of the
second attached below the shield a silver scroll inscribed "SI NON POTESTIS
POSSUMUS" in black letters.
and blue are the colors used for the Quartermaster Corps.
The wheel and chain (supply and support) are graphic representations of
their function. The colors green
and red allude to the unit's two decorations (French Croix de Guerre and
Meritorious Unit Commendation). The
three links symbolize the three battle honors awarded the unit in World War II.
Background: The distinctive unit insignia was approved 10 Apr 1964.
COAT OF ARMS
SHIELD: Buff, a wheel argent between dexter and sinister flanks vert and gules, on a chief enhanced azure a chain of three links fesswise of the second.
MOTTO: Si non Potestis, Possumus (If you can't, we can).
SYMBOLISM: Buff and blue are the colors used for the Quartermaster Corps. The wheel and chain (supply and support) are graphic representations of their function. The colors green and red allude to the unit's two decorations; the French Croix de Guerre and Meritorious Unit Commendation. The three links symbolize the three campaigns of the organization in Europe during World War II. The coat of arms was approved on 10 Apr 1964.
Return To: Distinguished Units of the Regiment