278th SUPPORT BATTALION
Constituted 14 December 1942 in the Army of the United States as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 278th Quartermaster Service Battalion.
Activated 15 December 1942 at Camp Sutton, North Carolina.
Reorganized and redesignated 20 February 1944 as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 278th Quartermaster Battalion.
Inactivated 10 March 1947 in Japan.
Redesignated Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 278th Supply and Service Battalion and allotted to the Regular Army on 7 April 1966.
Activated 24 May 1966 at Fort Lewis, Washington.
Inactivated 1 September 1968 at Cam Ranh Bay, Vietnam.
Redesignated Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 278th Support Battalion, activated 16 October 1992 at Fort Carson, Colorado.
World War II
DECORATIONSMeritorious Unit Commendation, Streamer embroidered VIETNAM 1967-1968 (HHC 278th S&S Bn cited for period 1 Jan 1967-1 Mar 1968; DAGO67, 1968)
Philippine Presidential Unit Citation, Streamer embroidered 17 OCTOBER 1944 TO 4 JULY 1945 (HHD 278th QM Bn cited; DAGO 47, 1950)
COAT OF ARMS
SHIELD: Buff, on a mullet of seven points azure a sea lion or.
CREST: On a wreath of the colors (or and buff) an Oriental dragon passant gules superimposed by a Philippine dagger or.
MOTTO: We will Provide.
Service in the Pacific during World War II is commemorated by the sea lion, the Philippine dagger and the seven-pointed star. The sea lion, from the coat of arms of Manila, refers to the Philippine Presidential Unit Citation and the Luzon campaign while the seven pointed star from the Australian flag which was used by New Guinea during world War II, represents service in that territory. The Oriental dragon represents service in Vietnam.
A sea lion grasping in dexter paw a dagger, both gold; its head resting on a seven-pointed dark blue star. The motto WE WILL PROVIDE is dark blue on a gold scroll.