The Quartermaster Regiment
The Quartermaster Regiment
|Crest||Flag||Coat of Arms||Honors Program|
Early in 1981 the Army implemented The New Manning System. This system contained two parts: the COHORT (cohesion, operational readiness and training) Unit Movement System and the U.S. Army Regimental System (USARS). Initially the regimental system was limited to the Combat Arms (Infantry, Field Artillery, Air Defense, Armor, Aviation & Cavalry).
The intent of USARS was to establish a greater unit bond among soldiers by affiliating them with a regiment throughout their careers. This was done to foster a sense of belonging and unit identity. In addition, the distinguished histories and traditions of these regiments would be maintained.
In the mid-1980s the Combat Support (CS) and Combat Services Support (CSS) branches were incorporated into the regimental system. Unlike the Combat Arms, which each had several regiments, CS & CSS branches retained their “Corps” title. The entire branch was integrated into a regiment under the “whole branch” concept.
The Quartermaster Corps joined the U.S. Army Regimental System on 13 June 1986. Army General Order #9 established the Quartermaster Regiment and named Fort Lee, Virginia as the Corps’ regimental home. Upon activation, 210,000 Active, Reserve and National Guard soldiers throughout the world became affiliated with the Quartermaster Regiment. Officers affiliate with the Regiment upon completion of the Quartermaster Basic Course, warrant officers upon completion of the Warrant Officer Candidate Course and enlisted soldiers upon completion of Advanced Individual Training.
The regiment is commanded by the Quartermaster General and the Quartermaster Sergeant Major serves as the Regimental Sergeant Major. The Chief, Office of the Quartermaster General, serves as the Regimental Adjutant. Distinguished retirees serve as the Honorary Colonel of the Regiment, Honorary Warrant Officer and the Honorary Sergeant Major of the regiment. They provide a link between the past and the present, perpetuating the history, customs and traditions of the Regiment.
Also introduced was a Regimental Crest (formally called the Regimental Distinctive Insignia- RDI) which is worn above the right pocket on the Class A, Blue and Mess Dress uniform for all Quartermaster soldiers. The central theme of this insignia is the 1896 Quartermaster branch insignia with the “Regimental Eagle”. The wreath signifies honor and achievement and is similar to the wreath in the 1885 Post Quartermaster Sergeant insignia. It also contains the Corps motto adopted in 1994, “Supporting Victory”.
The regimental insignia is described as a gold color metal and enamel device 1 inch in height consisting of a gold eagle with wings spread and head lowered looking to his right and standing upon a wheel with a blue felloe set with thirteen gold stars, having thirteen gold spokes and the hub white with a red center; superimposed on the wheel a gold sword and key crossed diagonally hilt and bow up, all on a black background and resting upon a wreath of green laurel terminating at either side below the eagle’s wings at the upper end of the sword and key. Attached below the device is a gold scroll inscribed “SUPPORTING VICTORY” in black. The original regimental insignia was all gold and approved on 31 March 1986. The design was changed on 7 June 1994 by the Quartermaster General, Major General Robert K. Guest, to add color to the insignia.
Detail from Regimental Flag
In addition, the Quartermaster Regiment gained a new flag (set of colors) which are permanently retained at the Regimental Headquarters, Mifflin Hall, at Fort Lee, Virginia. The flag contains the Coat of Arms of the Quartermaster Regiment.
A Regimental Honors program was also developed. Beginning in 1985, the Quartermaster General established the Quartermaster Corps Hall of Fame to recognize outstanding leaders who have contributed most to history and development of the Quartermaster Regiment. A Distinguished Member of the Regiment program was introduced in 1991 and a Distinguished Unit of the Regimentprogram in 1993.